Monday, March 13

Sex

I'm somewhat neurotic about always have the TV or the radio on. I seldom watch or listen to it but having it on gives me something to do with the rest of my brain while i'm doing whatever else i'm doing. Today Oprah managed to weasel her way onto my television and something one of her guests said trickled through the many filters and made it into my consciousnes - "Girls are treating their bodies like trash cans and they all need to get up and say 'I'm not going to be a trash can where boys can dump their sperm and their insecurities.'" At this point, incase you were curious, I spit apple juice all over my keyboard and a room full of employable looking 16 year olds erupted into applause for a very different reason.

After almost a year in the HPFF queue, I won't be the one to say that teenage girls aren't having sex for the wrong reasons. I've often posted about some of the disgusting things they think are real. A lot - even, maybe, most - of them are having copious amounts of unprotected, uninformed, meaningless, senseless, and most importantly bad sex, i won't argue that but I have to say come on people?!!?

My mother is somewhat of a crazed bulldyke and as much as "I'm not going to be a trash can where boys can dump their sperm and their insecurities," is something she would completely say (and probably did say to me as a young teenager, I can't even bring myself to imagine what I'd have done if someone had said that to me other than burst into raucous laughter and be forced to leave the room.

Yes, this woman was saying this and Oprah and the Williams sisters were endorsing it for all the right reasons - they're talking to a bunch of insecure girls and those of them that are having sex will even admit that they're doing it for the wrong reasons but at what point did we start victimizing ourselves before we had any reason to become victims. I watched an 8 year old say "I'm an emotional eater" today. She's 8! Christ - can she reach the cupboards yet? I mean, yes, recognize your problems and deal with them because the sooner you do the sooner their over and the less damage they do in the mean time but I have to wonder if she really is an emotional eater or if she's product of the concept that when something bad happens, you should go have a pint of ice cream and a half a bag of Hershey kisses. Does a day go by when you don't see that pumped somewhere? Yes, now we're all about healthy choices and making the right decisions and, in doing so, we're defeating people.

Have a salad. It's good for you. The vegetables are high in vitamins and minerals. Just don't have a salad with an oil or cream based dressing because that's high in fat. Wait - no, don' t have a salad with any kind of dressing because dressing is high in sodium. Put down the regular soda and drink one with a sugar substitute. Wait - don't do that, the sugar substitutes cause memory loss and symptoms that look like MS.

Mike has been eating better lately. Let me say that first before I get a call about defamation of character. In the past, however, he and King could sit down and devour 20 dollars worth of Taco Bell for a midnight snack. Mind they are/were (how does the tense work there?) two of the slimmest men i've ever known, so don't mistake that. What I'm saying is, I don't advocate that diet either. I've griped at Mike since we met whenever a medical problem pops up - the eating healthier solution for it.

I have to manage my diet carefully - not my atkins diet, my food diet - I don't absorb iron correctly or perhaps i'm not eating it enough but I have to be careful to balance my intake of calcium (which i need because of a family history of osteoporosis) with my intake of iron because they work against eachother in your system in spite of the fact that I need them both. I don't like to eat meat because it's often riddled with "funny chunks that shouldn't be consumed by human beings" and I don't like to prepare it because touching it disgusts me, but I have to be careful to do that because protien is important. Vitamin C is important because I bruise easily when i'm not taking enough. What i'm getting at is that you have to have a PhD to eat correctly this day in age. I'm not even eating to live forever - i'm not eating to be skinny. Fuck, i'm pudgy as hell - i can't imagine what it must be like to try to diet at 8 years old because you've heard your mother talking about her therapists advice since you were an infant.

There are some really horrible things in life. I'm not talking even about the epic and cataclysmic public tragedies. Personal tragedies that happen so many times every day. Why are we raising kids with someone to blaim? It's a cult. I swear to god.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jean said...

Thank you! If one more person repeats what they hear on Oprah/Tyra/DrPhil/Montel I will sponteneously combust. WEll said. (Or is it typed?

4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home