Wednesday, March 1

Disgusting

Yup, I'm blogging again. This has been a very verbose few days, and I apologize for that but, for once, I've had a hell of a lot to say.

I am frequently disgusted by our users. Some of them are exceedingly dense - so stupid that you wonder how they managed to get online in the first place. Some of them are completely insane - bombarding my inbox with hate mail and, those that are intelligent enough, coming after my server. Some are insane in other ways - and apparently I've found another one of those today.

I'm not naming names here, because I can't and even if I could, I wouldn't, but this is a review and authors response off of, yes, a story I'm not naming either.

Review: "Is it that rapist again you need more rape scenes!!!!!!!!!!!!! Or sex better yet!"
Authors Response: "You'll see...but I'll try to make sex scenes, and I'll think about the rape...."

Once in a while I'm just floored. Literally stumped, sitting in my desk chair wondering how people get quite so fucked up. No sane individual says "you need more rape scenes." I'm sorry but I defy you to find me a psychological profiler who would tell me that that is a normal human sentiment. Seriously.

The latter part, sure. The kids are forever pestering authors to include more sex in their stories. They're 14 years old and the closest they're going to get to sex for a while is the limited amount that we allow on the archive because it's one of the three websites their parents will allow them to visit. I don't mind that so much. Sure, I would love to put a requirement down on the books that says that you have to actually have had sex to write it, because there would be a heck of a lot less bad semi-smut floating around the ether, but it's not that big of a deal.

This, however, this gets me. I'm more than happy to push the envelope of sexually deviant, but I will never understand the quasi-love affair so many of the 12-year old girls around the entire globe have with being raped. It's a circle that I can't stomach. These authors write stories that start with Draco slamming Hermione against a wall and proceeding to assault her (really pathetically, generally) and end with Draco, Hermione and their blonde-curly-headed child living happily ever after. 6 months down the road, cue an 11-year old sneaking into an R fic on the archive (they're so cute when they realize that they can lie to the JavaScript pop-up) and reading this story that ends quite so blissfully - the next thing you know that's the romance novel of your life. I may be placing too much stock in literature but most of you know that I hold it responsible for my sligthly insane impression of Prince Charming.

Fortunately, I'm not the one who had to read the story, or I probably would have spent the rest of the evening considering several evil and illegal methods of making sure that this person got the message, but if it was anything like some of the things I've run across in the queue - or worse, in life - it couldn't possibly have been good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home