Thursday, July 27

Hard Drive Failure Is Imminent

I am an idiot.

This morning, I woke up and thought today was going to be an OK day. I logged on, took a glance at the skins I'd finished working on last night and uploaded them to my server to give them a test. They all looked just fine and I was happy. So I contacted our coder and told her they were ready to go if she was ready to pass on a few details i needed so that I could tweak them for posting and she enlightened me to the notion that I was doing it the hard way and my method could be improved upon infinately with just a little bit more knowledge than I had. And I was happy again.

And then all hell broke loose.

Dreamweaver stopped working, so I decided to reboot. Except my PC wouldn't reboot. The system simply couldn't seem to start up. So, off it went and on went the phone - to call Mike, that is, and very gently suggest that he come save me from myself. An hour of looking at it later, the sad sad piece of information is revealed that my hard drive is or is most likely toast - and not in any polite, gentle way, but in fact, with the very error message that titles this post.

On the lucky side of things, the files I was most concerned with losing are safely on the web - and I'm hoping against hope that they remain so and that Norton System Works can recover my poor sad hard drive, and if not the drive, at least the data off of it so that I can hide it elsewhere and get my system running again. Then, well, then I promise to be a better PC user and i'll stop threatening my computer - I promise!

If, however, it's not, I probably won't cry, but I'll want to.

So, after all of that, a quick dinner and giant bag of skittles and a rice krispy treat (who thinks Mike was triyng to make the catastrophic failure of my computer up to me?) I came home, turned on the cute little useless laptop who is diligently trying to provide me with some form of entertainment for the evening, and what did I find when I finished saying "hello's" to my e-friends but 15 messages in my PM box at HPFF informing me that for the third time this week, the Dark Arts was hacked. This was the point at which my brain started oozing out of my left ear because, as this PC has neither anti-virus or FTP software, I had neither the ability to look into the problem or to step in and try to make it go away. As it were, my Prince Charming came to the rescue on is big white horse yet again, found the problem, took the board offline and changed the folder name so determined but idiotic users can no longer access the corrupted little fucker, but damn today is out to kill me.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home