Wednesday, March 1

C-SPAN & Classical Music

Everyone knows that I am somewhat of a C-SPAN junkie so today I toggled it on to watch the mayhem as the Democrats and the Republicans duke on the Patriot Act all over again (the last time they did this - I watched an hour and a half of some obscure Republican senator reading "the ridiculous ammendments that would have been brought forth by the Democrats if they had had the opportunity) and I did not mind.

I watch this, a lot.

I've seen some of Ted Kennedy's best moments watching this but for the first time in a long time did I turn on my live web-feed to hear classical music issuing out of my speakers. Now this isn't a problem because I don't have a whole lot against classical music and neither does anyone else who was around at the time and it didn't blast out at an insane volume but, you know what, it pissed me off.

On days when the Official Truth Squad (no, not kidding) come in and, on other days, when Ted Kennedy has been talking for 45 minutes and no one in the room is listening, it's kind of nice to watch the apes performing just for me and the handful of other people who accidently rolled over on their controllers the night before and haven't realized it's on yet.

Normally, during deadspace, while members of the House or Senate are milling about the room talking to their interns and aids and generally determining our futures, they just let you to your own devices. You listen to the crackles and pops of the mic's, doors closing and opening and the occasional obscenity from Ted's lips as he tries to get a low-carb roast beef sandwich without mustard. They must anticipate an audience today because of the proceedings in question and I don't know that i'm happy or sad.

I'm always glad to know that more people are involved in our political process but the fact of the matter is that I like being an origial geek. I like my quirky photoshop tendancies, my compulsive organization of my PC and my obsession for mocking the US Senate like a Pippy Longstocking movie. There is no greater piece of bad news than that someone knows you better than yourself when you're someone who strives to be unpredictable.

I suppose, for today, that I will just have to resort to the adage that while many others may turn it on in the background today, i'm still one of the few who actually knows what the fuck is going on in there.

Edited to Add: I'm disappointed in Hilary. I am not disappointed in my main men, Russ and Obama.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home