Thursday, March 30

Bug Reporting

As most of you have become aware in recent days, HPFF is undergoing a wee bit of a recoding at the moment. Actually, it's a big recoding. Actually, it's a total fucking gutting. Our wonderful coder, Marie, will have, when it's done, completely stripped the majority of the archive coding (efiction v1.1) and replaced it with something we're calling, quite simply "God Send."

For those of you that are familliar with the front end of eFiction when it comes stock - it's somewhat of a total bitch. First of all, the person who wrote it was clearly smoking crack that day because the code is seriously some of the messiest stuff I've ever seen. Once upon a time, I took a PHP/PERL class and got the bright idea to open eFiction up and take a look at it. B.A.D.I.D.E.A. Maybe he wrote it after taking the same class I took. *boggles*

Anyway, after a few days of hard coding, Marie felt ready to press it out to public beta. My stomach leapt into my throat and my fingers began flying across the keys to get something written - something, anything! I needed a "How To File A Bug Report" and I needed it now before my e-mail was flooded with "i wuz redin a stori nd it wnt awy" and I put a gun to my head in the second most melo-dramatic suicide ever. I managed to write one and, let me tell you, it was painful.

First, I tried to think of all of the things that one puts into a bug report...Then I had to explain them. Then I had to re-read it and think of all the things I hadn't thought of yet - like reminding our international users to include their timezones next to their posts, lest we get 20 bug reports about the same issue within 15 minutes but reported as happening over the span of 24 hours. What i'm getting to, in the end, is this, the most horrible thing ever:

"As most of you know, HPFF has been undergoing some major coding changes over the course of the last few days. In an effort to make our final return to function smoother we will, for a limited time, be offering access to some of the new features to allow a test en masse. Please be aware, however, that these features are in their juvenile stages and will contain bugs. A bug is a piece of coding that does not work properly. (i.e., clicking on an authors penname and having it take you to the review page, etc...)"

Yes, that's right, pokey, they made me define what a bug is.

I...

Oi...

Though, this morning someone did ask me what "Young Adult Literature" meant so I can't say I blame them.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jean said...

I hear you. After attempting to configure to APache, I ahve developed a big dislike of wriint.modifying any script or code, sans pure HTML. Bug- don't we live in the 21st century? Although, since we are in this century, i would expect people to know what a bug over young adult literaure is. My symapthies.

11:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home