Saturday, February 4

Personable

I have often been accused of being stand-offish and impersonal on the web, which I find odd considering I spend a few hours a night discussing my sex life with several people and an equal amount of time throughout the week updating this fucking thing - it makes me wonder why. In any case, I was terrified this morning reading a post made by a fellow blogger and thought I would share one of my biggest fears.

Jellyfish.

I am not afraid of sharks, the giant manta ray, snakes or mice but i am terrified of jellyfish. Once upon a time, Mike and I went to see an IMAX movie and there was a 3d trailer for some other IMAX movie. (The one we were seeing was space related. The trailer was not.) The next thing you know, a six foot tall, 3-dimensional jelly fish is splooshing toward my face with an intent to kill flashing in it's bioluminescent goo. The fact that I did not scream in terror is a testement to the fact that I can, when faced with an imminent percieved danger, fling my hands infront of my face at mach 4.

Yes, I realize these creatures are 98% water. I also realize, however, that that is one of the scariest fucking things about them and that Jellyfish simply should not be. Portugese Manowar? I think not.

This, i will extend to you as a bit of antecdotal humor about me. Once upon a time, i was obsessed wtih marine archeology. Truthfully, I still am, but I have since then realized that I have two fears which prevent me from partaking in this career field at the present moment, but first, the only time in my life I was ever truely convinced I was going to die.

When I was 15 or 16 I went on a marine archeological "dig" hosted by Texas A&M @ Galveston. It was a local thing - a load of wooden gravel haulers sunk to develop a break-water in Lake Superior. 20 or so Grad Students were spending their entire summer in 5mm thick wet suits, shivering their asses off diving these wrecks in four hour blocks. I spent a weekend there....freezing my ass off in a 5mm thick wet suit. Clearly, there are no Jellyfish in this story. There was, however, one ill fated dive in which we came up upon one of the ships so fast I was certain I was about to take a header into it. Taking a header into anything in scuba gear is ill advised, particularly when that something is covered in gross and several hundred years old.

Let me tell you what having a panic attack feels like when your oxygen is being provided by a tank. Not the best ever. Even 20 feet under the surface and 100 yards off from the shore you feel pretty much like you're going to die an imminent death.

Anyways, yes. So between jellyfish, which regularly inhabit the pretty, tropical shipwrecks that amateur divers visit year-round in hawaii and knowing full well that I am certain I will die with a scuba tank strapped to my back, it's just not going to happen. Sad, really, because I know everything there is to know.

Anyways, that's my effort to be personable for the day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home