Friday, January 20

Stop It!

I'm having a ranty moment. Okay, actually, i'm a little bit freaked out but the ranting is distracting me from that.

Stop Blurring Every Fucking Thing

About four months ago someone posted a tutorial at The Dark Arts that i'm firmly convinced should be deleted. The Doll Face Blur.

To this, I say, FUCK.

It's a great technique, one that has been incarnated in several different fashions and ways and everyone has their own way of doing it but what it does is make the testure of the skin smooth as glass while making th eyes and mouth vividly sharp. The combination can be impressive when you want to highlight something and everything was OK. And then...well, then there were a few things.

Stop Blurring Men:
We all know that I love men. Where women are soft, smooth and, to a degree, supple. There are soft lines that appeal to the eye and make women the ideal candidate for so many things. Men are an entirely different encounter. Men are angular, with hard lines, and harsh skin and these are the quintessential beings of man. Period.

Now i know everyone's into the sensative metro-sexual now, and don't get me wrong because I happen to have bagged myself a man who is into laying in bed with me for hours and more than patient when I want to talk (and to listen) about life and problems and the days of our lives script that seems to surround us. But before he gets thrown out of the gender, he's a big fan of blowjobs, facials, good whiskey and too many cigarettes, so give the man some credit.

Let men be men! They're supposed to be slightly scruffy, they're supposed to have a bit of razor stubble - they're supposed to be that way! I'm all for tidying them up occasionally and I've more than once fallen in love with Logan Huntzburger - despite the fact that I suspect he'd bump back our dinner reservations for a manicure. (In his defense, he also insists on being called master and commander.) But let them be MEN!

Stop Blurring Every-Fucking-Thing:
Last night I blurred something - I know, you're shocked, but sometimes it's appropriate. I blurred this and I wont appologize. I blurred it because I wanted two things to stand out - the eyes and the tears - and one way to do that is to make the perfection in the skin texture absolute. I am not ashamed.

You, however, YOU should be ashamed. You blur men, women and children beyond recognition. You blur their skins to the point that their noses disappear and their hairlines are unrecognizeable. Freckles are abhored and made to disappear and the slightest sight of an enlarged pore is cause for panic and excessive use of the smudge tool.

If I had it in my power I would take these things away from you and limit your usage to only instaces where there's a valid reason for it. However, as I can't, now comes the begging.

Stop. Calm down. Really think about it before you act. There are instances where the results are appropriate and gorgeous but in much the same way someone gets ahold of a brush or a font and TDA artists use and overuse it until you all want to vomit, stop yourselves now! I have a much lower threashold than you. I will throw up before it starts to bother you but mark my words, you will come to be sick of it soon!

2 Comments:

Blogger Jean said...

Duly noted. I'm guilty of using that technique when I first started, and when I get low qiality pics, or pics with magazine lines. Otherwise I try to not do it so often. And yes, blurred men look scary. Also, I only translated that thing upon request! Buy my main complaint with you here is DONT BLUR MEN! Or women to a point beyond humaness. Also, DON'T OVER SHARPEN EYES AND LIPS! I've gotten Jen to stop doing it so much, now onto the rest of the world!

10:04 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

I totally agree with you, Kay. Then 'doll' look isn't at all apealing mainly because the picture looks unrealistic. And then the sharpening of the eyes looks really horrible when done improperly. If the person is lazy and just sharpens the entire eye... well the results are a pixelized eye with a smudged over face. The fad looks and is RIDICULOUS. And the men... don't even start on the men. I've seen Gary, David, and Dan, etc. etc. blurred beyond recognition. Just NO.

8:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home