Sunday, January 22

America's Obesity Problem

I am by no means a small human being. So let me say that clear away from the beginning.

Once a week I go to the grocery store for my mother and my brother. This works for us. Since the advent of this little tradition I refuse to purchase potato chips or other junk food for them - ever. This week, however, I was weak. I bought potato chips and ritz chips . Now, I knwo what you're thinking: So what?

We delivered the groceries to the house yesterday at 5:00 pm. It is now 10:00 am the next morning. The ritz chips and the potato chips are gone. All 6 whole wheat bagels remain but 3 - count 'em, 3 - of the regular bagels and a stick of butter have been consumed. The salad greens, lunch meat, fruit salad, yougurt, apples and other such healthy snacks remain untouched. And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why American's are fat.

No one in this country can show any self discipline toward food. They perpetuate their own sense of a scarcity environment - my mother certain that if she doesn't get her potato chips the first night they're here that Jameson will eat them before she does and likewise. What's worse, midweek they will go back to the grocery store and buy two more bags of chips, a bag of pretzel sticks, cookies, ice cream and some redi whip and repeat the binge eating behavior.

They're like great big children. You literally have to lock up the junk food until they eat their god damned peas.

Oi.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home