Saturday, October 22

Dramatic Irony

So by virtue of the fact that, despite a new season of TV, there is still not enough to keep my PC running with some eipsode of something entertaining for the 20 hours a day I require it, i've found myself rather impressionable.

So right now i'm watching the world's longest pilot - Firefly. Okay, beef's I have simply on principal? It's a western. It airs on the sci-fi channel. It started with a scene of war and there were needles and guns and other senesless TV violence. The entire thing is done in this horrible Bonanza-esque verbal styling which is driving me mad, but they've done a few things, in terms of cinematography that I appreciate. In watching a lot of ABC and WB lately i've noticed a few things about TV that bother me. First of all, no matter how many people are in the room at any given point, the perosn delivering the set line is the only one speaking. Now I gather that their purpose is to emphasize the spoken line and, naturally, avoid writing dialogue that they don't have to write but it's one of the many things that annoys me about TV.

Naturally, I was impressed when, during some random scene in this god forsaken program, they actually had people in the background carrying on their conversation.

Anywhoo, it's better than nothing, I suppose.

So, Firefly, well, it gets an "I'd rather watch this than gilmore girls re-runs...again."

Anyway, the interesting thing about this that i've noticed is that, having watched like 1/3rd of one episode while Mike was tending to drum lessons with Clayton one night, I like this show considerably more knowing that the main characters survive. I'm not one for suspense, i rpefer to know that no one is going to die or be significantly injured. So thank you, Douglas Adams, for little me know that no more than a sperm whale, a bowl of petunias, anda bruse will be sustained during the progress of this scene - i wish more people would afford me that luxury :P

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home