Wednesday, December 22

Hmmm..

When I got off of work yesterday, I said "Hmm...I smell a long winded post coming on!" Well, now, i've forgotten what the long-winded post I intended was about, but I've found motivation for another one.

I turned on the TV last night to watch a show I really like and ended up leaving it on for a while. When the 10 o'clock news came on in the background, I didn't think anything of it. The next thing I know, I'm staring an elderly woman in the face who was the victim of a robbery and rape.

This woman had her house repeatedly broken into by a group of approximately five people and her belongings stolen. One night, one of the intruders took it farther, pushing her into her bedroom and demanding she remove her clothes while the other four watched from the doorway. Fortunately, the media is bound to privacy rights - I don't want to know what happened to her in any more detail than that.

The event, in and of itself makes me ill, but the real kicker was that the boy who raped her was only 11 and those watching were no more than 13.

You can say that this is just Kay getting on her soapbox again, and in a way, it is, but you cannot deny the disgusting nature of what happened here. An 11 year-old boy raped an elderly woman.

My brother is 11.

What's wrong with a society in which children as young as six die in schools because another six year old brought a gun along? What causes an 11 year-old to rape someone?

Where are you supposed to hand out blame? The parents? The government? The news? The music? The video games? Where?

I guess this wasn't as long winded as I expected it to be...I dunno, I just felt that anyone who didn't know, should, and anyone who did know, should take a moment to reflect on it.

1 Comments:

Blogger Takin said...

Hey Kay
I dont know if u remember me or not but i was a fan of ur story at the HP website. Anyways I just wanted you to know that this news was very old. and another thing, when an 11 year old can break into a house and steel, then y cant we expect him to carry a gun, rape or even kill someone. This issue should not be pointed at the media. Because the media only shows was the majority craves, in another word the media reflects our own thoughts media was born by us. The ones that should take responisbility are the parents, specially those wo do whatever they wish, but then expect their children to become perfect citizens. Another group that should be accused is the government, in my beliefe they are too gentle with the society, why should people even have guns. The government should have more control over the society. When the FBI reports that a percentage of the terrorists are natural born Americans, we ask ourselves where did they come from, well they have been in front of you all the time commiting differnet crime, you just didnt see it coming.

5:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home