Friday, June 4

So About My Computer

A little update for those of you reading this that haven't heard me bitch about it in a few days. Here's what's going on.

When I bought this 1500 dollar computer system it came iwth a two year warrenty on the hardware. The deal was supposed to be that once a service call was placed they would be whereever I told them to be within 24 hours to fix my computer. If the problem could not be fixed in the immediate moment, they would give me a sort of "loner" system to use until mine was finished. I was fairly pleased with this idea...*ya know i just typed "idea" as "eyedea" - I think he needs to fix that*...

So two weeks ago my nic died, and that sucked - so they replaced the motherboard. Which was, ya know - nice of them and all. I was a little tweaked at the 9 hours of technical support that it took to get them to do that but hey, progress is progress.

Since the replacement parts the computer has been running extremely hot. Fortunately, I have a fantastic tempurature sensor that shuts the system down automatically before it starts things on fire and melts chips. And, i'm an avid Microsoft user so everytime it does this, whatever document or e-mail i have open is autorecovered. Its, nevertheless, frustrating.

Anyway, I called Dell on Tuesday to get some one out to look at the system. I have apparently discovered the secret to technical support - which seems to be irratating the piss out of the tech support agent with your "I know more about this than you do so just do what I say" attitude and sugary sweet tone. Finally, the guy i was talking to got frustrated with me and shoved me over to dispatch. They're replacing my motherboard and fan.

The guy from Dell told me that they would call me Thursday - this is like 8 o'clock on Tuesday night so i'm thinking - where the hell are they going to be tomorrow? But i'm understanding because it was a holiday weekend and they really are going to be out here for the second time so ya know, i'm feeling good. Thursday comes and goes and they don't call. I finally do get in touch with someone today at liker 1:30. The guy says that the soonest I can get a service call out is - get this, Tuesday. Which means I will have waited for an entire week for them to come correct a problem that they caused. I was no so pleased but whatever, I was coping.

I mentioned that the last guy who was here managed to do it start to finish in about a half hour and the guy on the phone figured out who i was. Well, apparently he felt sorry for me. He has a computer store in town called PC Tech, i'll let you know if that shameless plug is going to stand after I see his work. He's in like Milwaukee on a call or some such thing and asked me if - get this - i could drop the system off there at some point tonight - they close at 7 - and then he would stay late and work on it tonight. I can pick it up at around 2 o'clock tomorrow afternoon.

I'm a little pissed off.

I know it isn't this guys fault that they're bogged down. But you know who's fault it is - Dell's. I'm being patient enough about this. I still haven't yelled at anyone. I'd probably not mind the wait at all if I wasn't so tired of waiting on their technical support. I've spent at least 13 hours with them in the last two weeks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home